Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Chocolate Free Valentines Cherry Apple Crisp

It's been a while since I posted a healthy food much less a healthy dessert but with Valentines Day days away and decadent treats around every corner, this calls for a serious intervention. I call it "stop right where you are and drop the chocolate". Using cherries, apples and spices like cinnamon and cardamom to bring a little spice to this delicious bowl of goodness, it's a Valentines Day dessert to break from the norm, an outside of the box kind of change. I know you are thinking "where is the chocolate" but be assured this delicious, healthy recipe will not disappoint.



Valentines Day Gluten Free Cherry Apple Crisp


It's been years since Mav and I actually went out on Valentines Day. Mostly because we have so few moments to ourselves, we don't want to spend them waiting for a table at our favorite restaurant. For the most part, we spend a quiet evening at home and exchange cards. That's it. Really. Since our "most romantic night of the year" dates are at home, I decided to come up with a fabulous healthy version of one of my favorite desserts: classic apple crisp. I'm going to admit that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. So I've spent the better part of too many years repurposing recipes into a version I can indulge in and not feel like I'm ruining all of my hard work of exercising and eating clean.


You ask yourself, isn't apple crisp a pretty healthy dessert anyway? Yes, it is. That's why it's my go-to dessert when we have friends over because it feels like a guilty pleasure but so isn't. This version is a gluten free, reduced sugar recipe that adds a little adventure for your taste buds, minus the decadent chocolate.
 
 


 
 
Cherry Apple Crisp
 
1/4 Cup Melted Butter (or all natural applesauce if you are dropping dairy)
2 TBSP Brown Sugar (if you don't want refined sugar use 1/4 cup of maple syrup instead)
2 TBSP Instant Gluten Free Oatmeal
1 TSP Cinnamon
1 TSP Cardamom
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Granola of Choice
3 Medium Size Apples, cut and cored
1/2 Cup Fresh Cherries or frozen if you can find them, halved
 

Melt butter in a microwave safe container. Add cinnamon, brown sugar, oatmeal, and granola. Mix well. Cut and core the apples and place in an 8x8 glass oven safe dish. I used fresh cherries I purchased during the summer when cherries are in season. I seeded and cut them in half and threw these in the freezer to use later. I just mixed them in straight from the freezer along with a little extra sprinkle of cinnamon and cardamom. Once these are in your dish, add the topping and sprinkle evenly over the top of your fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a fork easily pierces an apple.

If you are using the applesauce, there is not need to "melt" it obviously. Just mix the maple syrup with the applesauce then all the other ingredients. This makes a divine combination topping too. I've made it both ways and each is delicious.



Gluten Free Apple Crisp Gluten Free Apple Cherry Crisp Healthy Gluten Free Valentines Day Dessert~Sunshines and Sequins
Be Still My Heart Valentines Day Apple Cherry Crisp

 
If I figure this right (and I'm no dietician), each one cup serving is only around 120 calories. You could splurge and add a scoop of your favorite low fat ice cream for another 125 calories and still come in under that chocolate molten cake worth 500. Plus, this dessert offers the benefits of whole grains and fruit high in antioxidant's plus fiber. Cherries are full of vitamin c, fiber and have superior antioxidant's than even vitamin E. Apples are full of fiber and satisfy your appetite more than any other fruit, not to mention the whole "apple a day" thing. This dessert also makes a fabulous yogurt topping for your morning pick me up!
 

Gluten Free Dessert Gluten Free Apple Crisp Gluten Free Apple Cherry Crisp Healthy Gluten Free Valentines Day Dessert~Sunshines and Sequins



 
Gluten Free Dessert Gluten Free Apple Crisp Gluten Free Apple Cherry Crisp Healthy Gluten Free Valentines Day Dessert~Sunshines and Sequins



Gluten Free Dessert Gluten Free Apple Crisp Gluten Free Apple Cherry Crisp Healthy Gluten Free Valentines Day Dessert~Sunshines and Sequins




 
Most people crave a decadent chocolate dessert but I'm NOT a chocolate kinda girl. Yes, I know, I'm a rare species. One of a kind. When God made me, He broke the mold and all that. Or so I like to tell myself. Many would say chocolate and Valentine's Day are like pb&j, cinnamon and sugar or pumpkin and white chocolate. You simply can't have one without the other. But I say, lets start something new. Its a new year, time for a new you.


 
What can I say, I like to step out of the box for pretty much everything. Sure, I could pick the most decadent chocolate dessert I can find and then feel days of guilt for eating it or I can spend a few minutes putting together a delicious dessert that leaves those guilt feelings in the dust.



 
To a chocolate free V-Day!


 
 
~B




Find me on Instagram, Blog Lovin under Sunshine and Sequins or subscribe by RSS and email.


No comments:

Post a Comment