Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Great Gifts in a Jar: Salted Caramel Sauce

Caramel Sauce Teacher Gift: The Army Life of an Aviators Wife
Healthier Gift in a Jar: Salted Caramel Sauce
I've spent some time during the last few weeks trying to make healthy, handmade gifts to give to my kids' teachers around the holidays. It's always nice to get a break from all the cookies, candies, candles, and apple shaped gifts that seem to show up. I found this gift idea on Pinterest and made it my own with my own caramel sauce recipe. I've honestly never had caramel sauce with an apple but I loved the idea so much I decided to try it. This delicious sauce adds a little sweetness and saltiness to an otherwise tart green Granny Smith apple.
 
Caramel sauce is really easy to make. Don't let it fool you. It isn't candy so you don't have to worry about a candy thermometer. It is as easy as boiling water! This is one of those recipes that I can't find a good substitute for the brown sugar, so the real thing is what I used.
 
Salted Caramel Sauce
 
1 Cup Organic Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Water
2 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Salt (more or less depending on your taste, I like the salt flavor to come through with the sweet)
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
 
Add the water and brown sugar to a saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium high heat (about 10 minutes) while whisking. Bringing to a boil slowly is very important for the sugar to dissolve completely without burning and allow the syrup to be at a lower temperature when the butter and cream are added. Once the sugar is completely dissolved lower the temperature to low. Add the butter first and let it melt and whisk completely then slowly add the cream. Let this simmer on low for another 10 minutes. What you are looking for is a brown color to the sauce. This takes forever with white sugar and through lots of trial and error I found brown sugar does the trick. It makes for a delicious and beautifully brown, creamy, sauce.
 
Healthier Gifts in a Jar: Salted Caramel Sauce-The Army Life of an Aviators Wife
Salted Caramel Sauce=Yum!
Healthier Gifts in a Jar: Salted Caramel Sauce-The Army Life of an Aviators Wife
Quick. Easy. Delicious.
 
It took me a few tries to get this sauce right. Three to be exact. I found several recipes online for caramel sauce that made a mess, turned out watery, never turned brown or just didn't taste good. My sauce is quick, easy and so delicious you'll want to keep it for yourself! 
 
Add the sauce to small glass jars such as Mason brand. Let cool completely. Cover and place in a pretty bag topped with a gorgeous green apple. This recipe is just enough to fill two pint size jars. Add a handwritten note, tie it up with a ribbon of your choice and this gift is ready to be given! This is what Christmas is all about to me! Spreading a little handmade holiday cheer with a healthy twist! Perfection!

Caramel Sauce Teacher Gift: The Army Life of an Aviators Wife
Salted Caramel Sauce
My kids gave these as a special thanks to their teachers before Thanksgiving. Both teachers raved about this sauce.
 
 
Happy Gift Giving!
 
 
 
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment