Thursday, November 20, 2014

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Syrup

You know the holidays are in full swing when everyone's gotten over their Pumpkin Spice obsession because Starbucks breaks out their Red-Cup-Christmas-World with Peppermint Mochas and white chocolate everything. Let's back it up a bit and prepare a healthy version of a Pumpkin Spice Latte. After all, Thanksgiving is still a week away. Many are going to have full houses Thursday and what better way to treat your guests than with a homemade, healthy pumpkin spice syrup to go with the coffee and desserts portion of the day. It's my favorite time of the day! Or bring this to wherever you are headed for Turkey Day. This syrup lasts for about a week in the fridge. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!


Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Syrup Using Stevia~Army Aviators Wife
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Syrup Using Stevia

Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup

1 Cup of Water
2 TBSP Stevia (I used 3 1/4 packets)
2 TBSP Pumpkin Puree (I used Libbys canned but you can use fresh if you are so inclined)
1 TSP Pumpkin Spice
1 TSP Cinnamon (or if you have time a cinnamon stick)

Add water and stevia to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until all stevia is dissolved. Add pumpkin and spice (if you use a cinnamon stick I would recommend simmering on low for at least 45 minutes). Even if you use ground cinnamon let it simmer for about 5 minutes so all the spices have a chance to marinate. Once it is cooled, use a rubberband to attach cheesecloth to a regular Pyrex 2 cup glass measuring cup. Then gradually let add the syrup through.





Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup~Army Aviator Wife
Finished Healthy Pumpkin Spice Syrup
I decided to attempt my own version of the syrup to save myself time, money and inches to my waistline. Most zero calorie sweetener's are not only a detriment to a metabolism, but your health. Using alternative sweeteners from all natural sources like honey, stevia and agave syrup, is not only healthier but will make your body happier. I do occasionally use white and brown sugar simply because some recipes the alternatives just don't translate well.

I love to use this syrup in my morning cup of coffee. It is delicious without all the guilt! I am so thankful for that!

Happy Thanksgiving All,
~B
"Gratitude is the sign of noble souls." Aesop

No comments:

Post a Comment