Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday Style Files: Sporty Girl Style

black maxi and denim vest
Sporty Chic: Black Maxi/Denim Vest
As I posted last week, the kids are beginning another new school year and I am beginning something new too: Friday Fashion Style Files, ladies! I am really excited to share all my deets with you pertaining to personal style.

I spend a lot of time on clothing websites, Pinterest and other fashion sites spying all the new styles available by season. But alas, this girl does not have the body of a model so sorting through it all is a bit tedious. I am 5 foot 4 inches on a good day. I love my legs but unless I am wearing 5 inch stilettos, they don't go on for miles. I am top heavy and most well endowed women KNOW what I am talking about so wearing ANYTHING that draws attention to that area, makes this momma uncomfortable. Meaning those cute little crop tops and any sort of layering adds bulk. I would love to wear a chambray shirt with a cute sweater over it but it just isn't going to happen. Sometimes I want to wear a fabulous spaghetti strap dress or gauzy embroidered top aka festival style. Sometimes I do just to prove I can. Mostly, I move on to things that work for me.

My body type is a little bit sporty, a little bit curvy, a little bit boyish. Yes, I know. Ugh. Needless to say, with all that going on, styling is difficult for this girl. There are certain classics that are my go-to when I want to look and feel my most confident: shift dresses with a classic blazer and heels. I call this my classy, sassy and a bit smart a@#y, which is just the way I like my style. I also LOVE scarves. By that I mean I own no less than 20! Since I live in the deep south, ya'll, I make every excuse to wear one, since the weather rarely gets below 50 degrees all winter long. Scarves are an inexpensive way to make any ensemble look put together, add a little pop of color or bring out a little personality. Like this outfit I wore this week to my daughters open house at her preschool. By the way, it was overcast, that was my excuse for wearing the scarf on a hot August day. And NEVER forget the Ray-Bans! Always classic, always chic!

Black Maxi: Wet Seal, Denim Vest: 1969 Gap,  Scarf : Walmart, Sandals: Target


Hair AND close up of my Walmart find: Black and white tribal scarf with an added neon scarf two for the price of one!
 

DIY Purple Nails: Plum and Done by Gelish (here)



Don't forget the accessories, including manicures! My one subtle luxury item for the outfit: My own Tiffany Heart Bracelet (here) and don't settle for a fake one. Real is the ONLY way to go. Besides what is better than actually going to a Tiffany's, picking out what you want and then watching them gift wrap it for you in the signature Tiffany blue box and white ribbon. It was an experience I will NEVER forget. It was an anniversary gift from the Mavs.

Leaving you with this final word. Your smile is your greatest accessory. Don't forget to put it on before you walk out the door. I saw this quote the other day and it is very true: "Fashion is what you buy, style is what you do with it."

HAPPY FRIDAY, LADIES!

~B

2 comments: