Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What's for Dinner, Mom? Forget Delivery, Try Pita Pizzas!

Eating clean takes practice and is a state of mind. In order to practice clean eating and help my children eat healthy, I try to find healthier alternatives to the usual fast food fare. The older my kids get, the harder it is to control what foods they are exposed to, including pizza. As much as I try to keep my kids eating healthy, pizza is the one thing everyone really likes. I need a plan to stay away from delivery/frozen pizzas (I know they are so convenient!) while still satisfying the pizza craving and keeping it basic, simple and easy. Even though I have found a few frozen "organic" pizzas, they tend to be high in sodium and veggies, low in flavor, three things my kids, nor I, get excited about.
 
I have seen lots of recipes for using pita bread to make pizzas instead of pizza dough or prepared pizza crusts. I decided to try these a few years back and my kids love it.
 
The best thing about pita pizzas is each kid can make their own, including the adult kids. Everyone gets their own personal pizza! I use everything from chopped peppers to onions to nitrate, nitrite gluten free chicken sausage. I have also found nitrite, nitrate free organic pepperoni. I use regular three-cheese pre-shredded cheese but have used organic mozzarella and shredded it myself. My daughter loves cheese pizza. My son loves cheese and black olives. Hubby not so much, he's an absolute meat freak. The more meat and cheese on the pizza, the happier he is. The more veggies on mine, the better. With pita pizzas, we all get what we want.

Easy Pita Pizzas
Crave Worthy Pita Pizzas

1 package Wheat Pita Bread
1 Can Muir Glen Pizza Sauce
1 Package Three-Cheese Shredded Cheese
1/2 Cup Chopped Green, Yellow, Red Peppers (your choice)
1/2 Black Olives
1/4 Cup Chopped Red Onions
1 Package Organic Chicken Sausage (Cooked)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet or pizza pan. I place everything in individual bowls so the kids can easily prepare their own pizzas. The only thing I do is place a spoonful of pizza sauce and spread it on the pitas. The kids do the rest. Place on your cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yum!

Add caption


Variations:

I have used cooked left over chicken chopped using Alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and fresh spinach. Or instead of pita bread, use portobello mushrooms!







Portobello Pizzas





 
 
 
 
 
I also use the chicken sausage in my Sweet N' Spicy Asian Meatballs, but that is a recipe for another day!
 
Happy Cooking,
 
~B


I hope you enjoy reading this blog. If so, please leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you. Never want to miss a post, follow me on Twitter and Pinterest.  Plus subscribe by email at the left! 
 



2 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I’m Janelle! I found your blog on the new military spouse blog directory, and I’m really excited to read more! I’m following you on Bloglovin’ — feel free to follow back!

    Janelle @ janelle-and-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete