Monday, June 10, 2013

Clean Eating Chocolate Madness Muffins

I know what you are thinking "Not another "clean" eating muffin recipe. Ugh, those are always so gross." I know, I usually say the same thing. The pictures always look great but the end result is less than appetizing. I tried this twice on two finicky kids and had rave family reviews both times. This one is called Chocolate Madness Muffin! Can you believe it? A recipe that involves chocolate, stevia leaf extract and NO FLOUR!! Oh the insanity! Stop me now!

Here is the recipe inspiration.

Clean Eating Chocolate Madness Muffins

1 3/4 Cup Oatmeal
3 Egg Whites
3/4 Cup Carob Powder (I chose carob bean powder because it has no caffeine as compared to cocoa)
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract


Chocolate Madness Muffins
1/2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I used Chobani)
1 1/2 TSP baking powder
1 1/2 TSP baking soda
1/4 TSP salt
1 Cup Hot Water
1/4 + 2 TBSP Cup stevia leaf extract
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 Scoop Protein Powder (can be omitted)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your muffin tin by using the silicone liners like I did or tin liners and spray with cooking spray. Place oatmeal in grinder/blender and blend until the oatmeal becomes a fine powder. Here is the secret: I take the cup of warm water and let the oatmeal "flour" soak for a few minutes before adding all the ingredients. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour into individual muffin liners and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes.

Variations:

I made these for my family twice. The first time with cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate pieces. I then remembered that cocoa powder has caffeine and decided to make the second batch with carob powder. The carob powder muffins had less of a chocolaty flavor, though. I also made some with pecans and some with butterscotch chips. I enjoyed all of the variations. This is one recipe I tried variations and still like the original best!

Note: Both times I made these, they did not seem to "rise" or have a muffin/cake like consistency but they were still good. The picture is of the ones I made, no tricks, that is what they really look like (very much unlike the pictures I saw of the three recipes I found online).


If you enjoyed this post, please click on the Top Mommy Blogs link on this site. Each click represents a vote for this blog to be listed on their website. Plus endorse me on sverve at the link on the right! Want more recipes, tips and lifestyle ideas? Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment