Saturday, May 4, 2013

It's Summer, Beach Body Ready Detox Time Baby!

Detox tea is a good entry point into the beach season. With this knowledge, I set out on a researching journey into all-natural detoxification. My goal was to find some sort of drink or detoxification process that utilizes nature as its fuel. I researched lemons, dandelion root tea, sulfurous vegetables, proteins and the like. What I found was an interesting detoxification juice recipe touted by Jillian Michaels' herself. She can't be wrong, right? Are you ready to do a little work for that beach body? Here we go.

I am venturing into unknown territory with a "detox juice". According to Ms. Michael's, this detox drink is meant to detoxify your liver, kidneys and intestines plus get rid of that pesky extra water weight therefore should be drank for seven days prior to the start of the womanly time of the month. In order to avoid any TMI comments, I will begin this sometime in the next four weeks and will report back my findings. I plan to spend one week drinking Jillian Michael's "Detox Drink" which is lemon juice, water, dandelion root tea with pure cranberry juice and eat clean sulfurous proteins such as eggs, veggies (broccoli, onions, garlic, cabbage, again sulfurous) and fruits. Here is a thorough list of sulfur rich foods if you are interested. This is similar to the eating regimen which was with the liver detox I did years ago.

I am not a "diet" person. I have tried many diets in my life out of curiosity mostly (Atkins, South Beach, plus the weight loss place I worked for, to name a few). It was only when I decided to make HUGE lifestyle changes that I truly saw and felt a change in my body. Plus for me, deprivation=overeating later.

For anyone wanting to detox their body with an eating plan, I do recommend a book called the Fast Track Detox Diet by Ann Louise Gittleman. Even though I never tried this "diet", the book is in my reference library for research purposes. I first came across this book when I looking for an all-natural way to "detox" my body from all the heck it had been through with the pregnancy and breastfeeding.

From there, I set out to find something to help give me advice on how to accomplish the goal of getting rid of these awful body aches, sleepless nights and headaches I was having. After much researching, I found a liver cleanse online through, where else, Amazon.com, and proceeded to follow the instructions to the tee. I used Renew Life Liver Detox. This utilized all natural herbs to detox the liver. It was a 30 day cleanse with two pills taken in the morning and two pills at night plus an eating regimen to follow. I stuck with this for about 2 1/2 weeks. I seriously could not stomach another egg, broccoli or bland chicken meal. What I did have were some amazing results. I had more energy than I had had in years and I slept better plus my headaches and body aches went away. I had pep in my step. After this, I was hooked on detoxing, just not for 30 days at a time. I had to figure out something that worked for me, my schedule and my life. Since I am attempting to get my body back to it's pre-child muscular state, I need a good detoxing.

The Detox Plan

This is my detox plan. Drink 64 ounces of Jillian Michael's Detox "tea" daily for seven days, eat nothing but fresh, whole fruits and veggies and lean meats then report my results. I will try to limit my caffeine consumption and eat no sugar for this week.


Jillian Michael's Detox Tea Recipe

64 ounces of fresh, filtered water
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp no sugar added cranberry juice ( I used Knudsen's Just Cranberry brand)
2 teabags Dandelion Root Tea


I make the tea first since it needs to steep for at least 15 minutes and also cool off before pouring it in the juice container. I searched far and wide for this tea and only managed to find it at a local health foods store but I am so glad I did. It was reasonably priced at $5.50 for 16 bags which will last the week since I use two a day. The instructions say to steep for 15 minutes and then squeeze the teabags so you get all the goodness out of the tea. Many recipes I found for this juice online said you could use any tea but after researching Dandelion Root Tea there is no substitute. This tea is supposed to "get the digestive juices flowing" which means the liver, kidneys and intestines which allow the lemon juice and cranberry juice to do their jobs of ridding the body of toxins. Lemon is a natural diuretic and cleansing agent. As far as the cranberry juice, it is supposed to help with urinary tract health and is prescribed by many natural practitioners for relief in this area. I used R.W. Knudsen's which makes one of the only no sugar added JUST cranberry juice out there, which I found at the commissary but have seen at Publix. I would not personally use a sugar free or Splenda blend because this is meant to be easy on the body and the simpler the ingredients the better and easier for your body to digest. Once I add all the ingredients to the container, I refrigerate overnight so it is nice and chilled the next day.

So I am off to the detoxing races. Wish me luck.

Happy Detoxing,

B
 
P.S. Please if you liked this post or others, lets talk! Also don't forget to add your email address to "Subscribe By Email" at the right. This will keep you up to date on the happenings at the Army Life of an Aviators' Wife. For more exercise ideas, follow me on Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment