Thursday, May 16, 2013

Clean Eating: South o' The Border Tilapia and Better Than Guacamole Broccomole

I am a lover of south of the border inspired dishes. I would venture to say that most of the food I serve my family is inspired by Mexican and Asian cuisine. I have immense appreciation for the complex flavors and freshness in both styles of cooking. For some reason my palate believes lime juice and fresh cilantro make everything better as well as a little dash cumin. I hope the South o' The Border Tilapia and Broccomole recipes will satisfy a craving for Mexican food.

For my family, anything that involves tortilla chips is a hit. The recipe I have (thanks to my in-
laws) for guacamole only involves fresh avocado, lime juice, salt, cilantro and some organic salsa, which my family loves. I used this as an inspiration for the broccomole by replacing the avocado with broccoli. I know what you are thinking, ick. A word of advice, if you don't like the flavor of cooked broccoli, you may not like this recipe. But try it, you might like it. Of course, hubby is one of those people who loathes broccoli, so I knew I would be eating most of the broccomole. Not that I don't love and think the benefits of avocado far outweigh the fat content, I just wanted to try this and see if I could get it close to my guacamole recipe. The recipe I found for Broccomole only has 22 calories for the WHOLE BOWL! I looked at several different recipes online to get an idea of what I thought would taste good and noticed they all added something creamy like cream cheese, mayo etc.  I decided to go with my guacamole recipe and adding something creamy. My favorite creamy is plain greek yogurt.

Better Than Guacamole Broccomole

2 large heads of broccoli, boiled until very, very soft
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
Salt/Pepper to taste
Juice of half a lime or more to taste
2 tsp fresh chopped cilantro or to your taste
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 Cup Organic Salsa

Cut up the broccoli and discard the stems. Boil the broccoli until it is easily stuck with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain WELL. Place all ingredients EXCEPT the salsa, in the your processor and let it rip until it is creamy, then fold in the salsa. I always taste my food as I go along and added more of flavors as needed. My little food processor is so tiny I couldn't even get the broccoli in it and I couldn't get my blender to work with this since I did not add the oil. The handheld blender food processor attachment I have worked like a charm. The resulting "guacamole" was very tasty while it was hot. I do think it would be delicious cold, too. I served it with tortilla chips (only 3 ingredients). You could make your own chips which I have done in the past in the oven using tortillas but I have yet to find a good "clean" tortilla out there.
This dish is probably another one of my favorites so far. I ate the whole bowl. Yep, I sure did with four chips and a handful of baby carrots. I was very tempted to lick the bowl but figured that was not good manners to show my kids. I served the chips because I thought the hubby may venture into eating this and God-love him he tried it but as I said he really does not like broccoli at all. I swear he could taste broccoli in a cow patty. He would never eat a broccoli laden cow patty, but just sayin'.

Now for the main course, South o' The Border Tilapia. I found this recipe on the Whole Foods app I downloaded on my phone. I love this app because I can put in the ingredients I have on hand and it will find me a recipe! For each recipe in this app, it also provides the nutritional specs and special diet info like gluten free, vegan, organic, etc. I pretty much followed this recipe. I have tried it twice now and haven't changed anything about it except to add more lime juice and cilantro, of course. My whole family raves about this dish. Lilliput even asked for seconds! Here is the Whole Foods tilapia recipe I used as inspiration on their website and this is mine:

South o' The Border Tilapia

4 tilapia fillets, thawed
2 limes
1 tbsp Chipotle Powder
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place parchment paper on a high sided cookie sheet. Since tilapia is a delicate white fish, it comes off easily without breaking apart on parchment. Use a small amount of olive oil on each side of the fish. Mix all spices in a bowl. From this bowl take a couple of pinches of the spice mixture on the fish. I took my fingers and rubbed the spices to get an even coating to the fish. I am a firm believer in using your hands while cooking. You can't be afraid to get dirty to make delicious dishes. Then squeeze the juice of one lime over the top of each fillet. Cut up the other lime to garnish the fillets when they are cooked.

Place each fillet on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes or until flaky. Serve with your favorite refried beans or black beans, cilantro and lime wedges. Clean eating at its best!
Muy delicioso!

 

Happy Cooking,
 
B
 
If you enjoyed this or any other post on my blog, lets talk! For more recipe ideas, follow me on Pinterest!


No comments:

Post a Comment