Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Healthy Clean Eating Recipe # 4: Clean Eating Berry Muffins

The last few weeks have been incredibly busy for the fam with Spring Break, Easter, and lots of beautiful days, we have spent much of the last two weeks outside. We have taken trips to the park, the zoo, bike rides and Easter egg hunts. The last few weeks have been loads of fun, but I have been missing my little caveat, blogging and trying new recipes.

I am a fair weather kinda gal, the main reason I'm still in love with the time we spent in Hawaii and would seriously consider moving back there. Needless to say, I love this time of year with the sunshine and fresh produce to eat that motivates me to try new recipes. All of this great weather always motivates me to eat healthy with nothing to weigh me down, literally and figuratively.

The Clean Eating Strawberry Muffin recipe is right up the healthy beach-ready-body alley. Part of the inspiration for the choice of this recipe was that California strawberries were on sale at my local supermarket. I LOVE California strawberries (they are the sweetest strawberries I have EVER had, sorry Florida) and got hooked on California produce while in Hawaii. I also feel a little safer eating California produce because of the strict regulations the state places on its farmers to not use potentially cancer causing agents on the crops produced in the state. So with all this the recipe was a no-brainer. I found a similar recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago which gave me the idea.

I tried the recipe once but have suggestions for my future try. I couldn't get the right consistency from my food processor for the oatmeal to turn to "oat flour" which produced a grainy texture muffin. For the second attempt, I will try a coffee grinder to get the desired "flour" consistency. The recipe on Pinterest said to add strawberries to the mix but I found that made them very gooey and the kids wouldn't touch the muffins. So the second time around I will place strawberries on top of each muffin prior to placing them in the oven which should produce a slightly less strawberry-ee and less mushy muffin and hope to achieve a better consistency muffin. If I add some chopped nuts to the mix it would be more of a nut muffin which would suit my tastes anyway.

Clean Eating Berry Muffins

2 1/2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats (not quick cooking) ground to a fine powder
1 cup Non-Fat Vanilla Greek Yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup Splenda for Baking or 1 cup sweetener of choice
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Strawberries quartered or diced whichever way you like them, dried with a paper towel

Optional:
1/2 cup Chopped Pecans


No-Flour Strawberry Muffins
Line your muffin tin with either foil liners or silicone muffin liners or spray each cup with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place oats in a blender, food processor or coffee grinder and grind until you can't grind anymore. Actually just until you get to a "flour" consistency. Or if you are particularly in need to spend some serious cash and save some time, buy oat flour. Once you have reached your desired consistency, place all the dry ingredients in the blender and just blend slightly to distribute the ingredients. Pour all blended ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients except strawberries, unless you don't mind the gooey consistency of baked strawberries. Mix with a wooden spoon or any spoon until well blended. My first try I placed a few strawberry pieces in the bottom of each cup then filled 3/4 of the cup with mix then added two strawberry quarters to the top. Way too much work for me. So my next attempt, I will only place the strawberries or most likely blueberries on top of each muffin cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve with all natural or homemade jam. I loved these little morsels but couldn't get the kids to eat them because of the consistency! With approximately 100 calories, 25 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of protein (unless you add a scoop of protein powder) and 4 grams of fiber, you can't miss!!! Slather a tablespoon of peanut butter to these puppies and you've got a great way to start your day. Plus they keep in the fridge for several days so make these in your spare time and keep them in your fridge for an easy breakfast. To change it up a bit, you could add blueberries or mango or even papaya to the mix instead of the strawberries and top with local made honey. Or you could add chopped walnuts or almonds for some Vitamin E and a scoop of vanilla protein powder for an extra protein punch! There are so many yummy variations!

For my next culinary adventure in the no-flour muffin world, I will attempt the triple chocolate no-flour muffins! I will for sure post about that experience. My perfect dessert and my husbands' perfect breakfast. Hmm.....Maybe for his birthday breakfast? Except his birthday falls on Mothers' Day this year. Uh-oh troubles a' brewing in Mav-land. He will be feeling totally neglected this year. Gotta come up with something good that involves both of us having a special day! What to do, what to do?

On the menu next time.....my Very Berry Protein Shake using left over frozen strawberries and organic frozen blueberries, plus South o' the Border Tilapia using fresh lime juice with Better Than Guacamole Broccomole. Delicious!

 
Happy Cooking,
 
~B
 
 
 
Leave me a message. I would love to know how these recipes turned out for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment