Friday, December 14, 2012

Uphill Battle for Uplifting Thoughts Today

I had another much more uplifting post for today but in light of the news of another mass shooting I must talk about this.

The many mass shootings in the last several months have me a little on edge. It all reminds me of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, which states that safety and security are basic human needs right above food and water. That means humans have a hard time functioning if these needs are not met. Since the movie theatre shooting in Colorado, several conversations with friends stated they were afraid to go to a movie theatre or a mall. Each horrific act does make me pause and question what I do and where I go on a daily basis. It makes me fearful not only for myself but for everyone I know. I am on alert whenever I am in public, always analyzing the people around me. This isn't a huge jump for me. I taught myself to do this after September 11, 2001 and honed my skills during the many deployments, especially after having Harry. For some reason, having a child with me made me even more alert for danger. I am not paranoid, just prepared. I believe the more prepared and educated someone is the more empowered and confident they are in their ability to protect the ones they love. That IS important to me.

I am deeply saddened for any and all teachers and students at the school in Connecticut. I will pray for everyone of the people affected by this. Even if a person is not hurt physically the emotional scars can last for years.

I am angry that anyone has to go through such an incredibly all consuming grief.  As a mother, it cuts me to the core. I am angry at the person who perpetrated this heinous act. I am angry that I will question every decision I make. I am scared for my child whom I must let go of every morning and trust he is safe in the public school he attends.

Even through all this though, we are reminded of what is important........

........making sure we let others know how much we care about them and spend time with the people we love the most. Because at the end of the day, that is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment