Saturday, December 8, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas even though it is 75 degrees outside in LA.  Guess that's what I get for wanting a little downtime for my family away from the back to back deployments of Hawaii. We loved the seven years we spent in paradise. My husband especially liked that he was flying all the time, even though mostly over sand instead of water. I had a precious little boy, finally graduated from college and struggled through four deployments. I would say those little deployment gremlins can't touch me now, only the demons of semi-normal life. As normal as life gets for an Army spouse.


Since moving to, what I affectionately call LA and I don't mean California, we have had our fair share of hard times. I am truly thankful hubby, whom from here on out will be called Maverick, is here every day battling through all this with me. We struggle to understand what our son goes through. We struggle to be the best parents we can be for these two little charges God has blessed us with. If we were still in Hawaii, it would be me shuffling my way to the next day hoping and praying he comes home soon. There are no more phone calls or video conferencing for us. We get a hug and kiss every day.

We added a new member to our family since moving to LA. A beautiful, precocious, brave, loving little girl, Princess Lilliput.

Our little prince, hasn't taken much of a liking to the addition and she is 20 months old. Prince turned six a few months ago.  He is the epitome of curiosity. Always asking what would happen if and why with a little flare for the dramatic. Like mother, like son. Ugh.

Maverick is the cool cat of the family. He has a way of being realistic but supportive at the same time. He handles every situation humorously with a little dose of sarcasm. He is so good at it you never know whether he is serious or not.

I was, and still am, a reluctant Army "dependent". When my husband first transferred from the Navy, I worked full time at a job with great benefits and went to college. I was in absolutely no way dependent on anyone, except myself. It felt good to be independent. So it was a shock to my system to be treated like a third class citizen. Glad that changed for the better over the years.

It was hard for me to swallow the pill of dependency. During a particular job interview in LA 10 years ago, I was told I just didn't fit. This was the first time in my adult life I had been turned down for a job. A position I was highly qualified for at that. The interviews always went the same. After a series of questions about why I moved to LA and what my husbands job was, the response was always the same, "Oh he is in flight school, so that means you will only be here for maybe 2 years?" Then the ubiquitous, "I am so sorry you aren't right for the job". This went on for several weeks and several more job interviews until I realized I just needed a job, any job. The job I was hired for paid $10,000 less a year than what I was making at my previous job in OKC. It was too much for my little psyche to handle. The only thing the career office on post did was gave me a list of jobs available in the area. Needless to say, I went through three jobs the 18 months before we moved to Hawaii. I couldn't stand feeling taken advantage of because of my husbands job. So I decided once we left for our next duty station, if all else failed, I would complete my degree.

I did complete my degree and here I am a stay at home mom, trying to juggle two kids, make a little spending money and staying sane....its all in a days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment